ACADEMY OBJECTIVE - Our work here at the Academy is based on the Iyengar system, although we go beyond that approach by focusing on the needs of each individual student who is in class. We offer two decades of experience, teacher training, and a variety of classes and private sessions that are intended to serve the needs of each student. Each type of class outlined below focuses on individual needs and inspires increased flexibility and confidence in movement. Our goal is stillness, balance and peace.
- Beginners: In this class, we focus on the spinal column and the nervous system. We work in a passive way that affects the tissues on a deep level. People with all levels of ability will find this class relaxing and rejuvinating. If you have any therapeutic issues please see "Private Therapy" below.
- Level 1: Basic instruction in the fundamentals of postural alignment and breathing for continuing beginning students. Basic standing poses, forward bends, back flexibility, twists, hip openers and other basics are introduced and practiced with close attention to correct alignment.
- Level 2: This class introduces more challenging poses and offers students the opportunity to explore yoga as a discipline involving the conscious balance integration of mind, body, breath and spirit. This class offers expanded study of inversions and back flexibility. Students should have prior Level 1 experience.
- Level 3: Advanced asanas and pranayama are introduced for students developing a home practice from a solid working knowledge of postures. Students should be proficient with inversions and be interested in doing deep, challenging and transforming work.
- Private Therapy: This class is designed as a private session that focuses on your needs and specific issues, such as knee replacement, shoulder and/or neck problems, sciatica, spinal fusion, back pain, insomnia, and migranes; please let us know what we can help you with. We will tailor this class to meet your needs and/or prepare you for the Beginner's class.
- Yoga Philosophy & Self Study Class: Come and join us through an exciting upward journey through the chakras with the goal of integrating the body, mind and spirit. Wednesdays 5-6pm starting January 20 ending March 20.
- Special Classes: These classes are designed to offer variety and fun to your practice. They change on a monthly basis, so be sure let us know your email address and check out the latest flyer.
- YOGA-TO-GO: The Academy of Yoga provides private yoga instruction at you place of business, or at your home. You can also schedule yoga for your business at the studio if no space available at your office.